Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Kitten has a black spot on upper lip below nose, its black

Customer Question

kitten has a black spot on upper lip below nose, its black and scabby looking has doubled in size in eleven days. have a vet appointment tomorrow just worried
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Does Dr. Spots have any discharge from her nose or the spot? If so, what color?
Is the spot raised?
Any tenderness if you touch the spot?
Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you cannot see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on an alternative site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Spots has no discharge and its black, the spot is raised and looks like the texture of dried skin. The spot does not seem to be tender at all. the kitten is still eating and drinking normally and does not seemed to be bothered by the growth.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Based on your description and the photo, this does look traumatic in origin and potentially burn related. From its appearance, we'd be less concerned about issues like cancerous growths, cysts, or allergic reactions. As well, while we can see skin lesions in this area triggered by viruses (ie herpes) or immune issues (ie eosinophilic granulomas); these too are less likely with this appearance.
As well, further to the scabbing, I would note that the tissues around the scab are still quite red and inflamed (potentially damp, but this is hard to assess in the photo). So, we do have an ongoing process and possible secondary bacterial infective risk here.
With all this in mind, I am glad that you do plan to have him seen at this stage. We'd want his vet to access the level of skin damage and we may need to start kitty safe anti-inflammatories to reduce any swelling/inflammation associated and antibiotics to keep any infection away. Furthermore, we'd want to salt water bathe this region (since its a mild antiseptic and no worry if he licks it) and be aware that the scab could enlarge to the level of inflammation but could also come away to reveal raw healing, post-burn skin.
Overall, this looks more like a scab/blister post heat damage to the skin. And as the burn wasn't severe, the delay/slow onset is not unexpected. Therefore, we need to be supportive of the lesion and prevent infection while the body heals. But we'd not be worried about any of those sinister differentials I noted above.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were to perhaps it is fungal, they removed the black spot and have us some type of wipes to wipe on area we are going back in a few days to see how it's going. If it seems to not be responding to treatment we will do more test to see exactly what it is then attack it accordingly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update,
That sounds like a good plan of attack for this lesion. Since it didn't look particularly fungal like with the scab on, can you tell me what the skin looks like with it removed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under the scab the skin was a little pink, the scab has begun to return it looks like it is actually starting from the left nostril. I'll add a picture this is one two days after removal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the photo,
If its appearing to arise from the nostril, we'd also need to consider whether we have nasal discharge alongside this. Usually that will result in small crusts, but it is possible to have larger. In any case, if its returning and they suspect fungal from their exam, I would note that you can also bathe this in dilute chlorohexidine as that will help with bacterial infection but also reduce any fungal load as well.
Take care,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As of know we are using DOUXO pads that have a 3% chlorexidine twice a day. we are not really soaking as much as wiping the infected area. We go back to Vet tomorrow for a follow uo so they can re assess their original diagnosis as well as see how things are going. I should mention we had also been using a raw meat diet and we have also suspected that we had been leaving the meat out longer than 45 min. assume this amount of time is to long on warm days as bacteria has a chance to grow. anyways thanks for all the replies and I will keep you posted in what we find tomorrow.
Cheers!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I am glad to hear that it does, though I often use this as a liquid just so we can get a bit more of a lather and penetration. And just to note, the meat situation could potentially lead to a moist dermatitis, but this doesn't quite fit with that. In any case, if you are do to head back tomorrow, then keep up as planned and hopefully they can take some samples for testing to diagnose this.
Let me know how you get on,
Dr. B.