Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

6 week old abandoned stray kitten that we have been feeding

Customer Question

6 week old abandoned stray kitten that we have been feeding was eating when we left the house. 15 minutes later, we come back and he is laying arched over the bowl and appeared to be dead. I picked her up and she was alive but her head was thrown back and had to be forced back to normal position. She cannot old her head up on it's own. I fed her a bottle and she ate normally and now she is sleeping comfortably. But we don't know what happened. From the internet it appears she could be simply having a seizure to being in the throes of death. This just happened an hour and a half ago and we don't want to waste time if she has hope.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more thing, when she woke up this morning, her eyes were matted and puss came out. I cleaned her eyes and they have been ok. Didn't know if this means anything to what is happening to her.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. A hypoglycemic episode was most likely responsible for her collapse. It would be prudent to administer sucrose (Karo syrup, e.g.) at a dose of 1 ml (1/5 of a measuring teaspoon) every 2 hours until she stabilizes. Ideally, a vet should see her at your earliest convenience. Testing for the FeLV (feline leukemia virus) and FIV (kitty AIDS) virus is an important part of evaluating a stray kitten. Initial worming and vaccination can be performed at the time of examination as well.
Her pusy eyes usually indicates either the feline herpesvirus (FHV-1), Chlamydophila or Mycoplasmal conjunctivitis. The vet can prescribe an ophthalmic ointment that should be helpful. Her eyes aren't likely to be related to her collapse.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?