Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Little concerned about my 10 year old fixed indoor 17lb

Customer Question

Hi little concerned about my 10 year old fixed indoor 17lb male cat. He ate well yesterday--on primal frezze dried raw and some canned as he had a urinary scare May 12th--but was not blocked....he vomited his lunch at 2pm, then right afterward had diarrhea...followed by some more fo***** *****quid and some clear mucus from anus 2 timessince then--now 5:40 and he's sleeping--but he's never vomited this much or had mucus---Usually if he eats a bit of plastic--it comes right up.
anythign I can do for him here at home? thanks! carol
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello Carol,
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jojo. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help. It appears your requested expert is not available so your question was opened to the rest of us.
If you look at his gums, are they pink in color?
Clear mucus from the anus indicates inflammation in the colon, while the vomiting indicates something irritating his stomach. It could be something he ate, or a virus, or a parasite (unlikely if he is an indoor cat).
Is he interested in food, is he drinking? If he were mine, I might withhold solid food and offer only clear fluids like broth or water for the next 8 to 12 hours. I might try giving him some famotidine (Pepcid AC) 2.5 mg, twice daily for stomach upset/gastritis.
If that slows the vomiting, I would try solid food tomorrow. If he won't eat, or if the Pepcid does not stop the vomiting, I would have him examined by his veterinarian, and consider Cerenia injections for vomiting and metronidazole for the colitis/ colon inflammation.
Glad he is sleeping; good for him to rest. Hope this is just a "24 hour bug" and that he is back to normal soon. Let me know what else I can help with or answer.