Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I just recently received a 7 week old girl kitten. When

Customer Question

Hi I just recently received a 7 week old girl kitten. When I got her, her eyes were matted shut and pussing out. I've been cleaning them with a warm cloth and hurt free antiseptic wash but it only works for a little until they are shut again. She's been sneezing as well. I'm worried. Her one eye is swollen at the top. I just wanna make sure she is okay!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
Sounds like this little girl has one of our viral upper respiratory infections which also cause conjunctivitis. The most common is the feline herpes virus (which is not contagious to us but is contagious to other cats, especially non-vaccinated).
You are doing an excellent job of cleansing. You can use saline eye wash as made for people to aid in your cleaning and even saline lubricating drops which may help a bit to get through the weekend. Ultimately, this sounds severe and really needs to be seen by a veterinarian to get her on prescription eye drops and an oral antibiotic. You can certainly look for Terramycin opthalmic ointment at your local feed store; sometimes they carry this. It would be safe for her eyes and may help clear the infection but you may need to get this or another eye medication from your vet.
What else could you do? You can start her on an oral l-lysine supplement to help her body fight the virus. There are several ways to get this. You can buy a cat product (my favorite is Viralys in the powder or gel which you can order online; nonprescription, OR get from your vet). Or you can buy the people capsules (in a supplements store) and mix 1 capsule with food once daily. IF she is not eating well, you may need to mix this with some people baby food (chicken puree) and then syringe this into her. No bad side effects.
Here is some more information on herpes viral conjunctivitis: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1327
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.