Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

We have 3 inside only cats & 3 inside/outside cats. Recently

Customer Question

We have 3 inside only cats & 3 inside/outside cats. Recently 2 of the inside cats, both female, have lost their meow or it is sounding raspy. Otherwise they seem fine as far as energy, eating, drinking, and using the litter box. Any ideas?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) or Bordetella bronchiseptica bacteria is the usual infectious agent causing a change in voice in our cats. Bordetella should be self-limiting within 7-14 days. FHV-1 is more problematic because after active infection it falls back into a carrier state and may recrudesce at any time. Furthermore, all of your cats have been exposed and so you may see conjunctivitis, sneezing, coughing and change of voice in any of your cats from time to time. Thankfully, this virus also is expected to remiss unaided within 14-21 days and so I concur with your regular vet's comment.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Mike,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael, Everything is going ok & your service was just fine. The email I received for the survey came through as unintelligible gibberish so I couldn't reply. Anyway, everything is fine and one of the cats is starting to get her voice back.
Thank You,
That sounds good. Thank you taking the time to let me know.