Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat is meowing and is drooling. Something is bothering her

Customer Question

My cat is meowing and is drooling. Something is bothering her and she is laying in obscure places in the house.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your young girl Tinky who has been meowing and drooling today. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Tinky including anything from an oral or dental issue, to nausea due to an oncoming gastroenteritis, to a toxicity or even an internal organ issue. If Tinky seems particularly distressed right now and is continually drooling and meowing, then you really are best playing it safe and getting her seen right now.
It would also be a good idea to quickly scout your home and yard to see if there is anything that Tinky could have gotten in to or started licking. Cats are notorious for stepping through dangerous substances, and then cleaning this off their paws by licking it! This in turn often leads to a toxicity. A dental or oral issue is a big potential cause here in my mind as well.
If you can get Tinky seen now, please do. If not, then for now, please keep an eye on Tinky's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
I thought I would follow up to see how little Tinky is doing today. I hope the meowing and drooling settled down. Did you take her in to your local vet clinic in the end?
It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Meagan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc