Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a cat at least 15 years old (adopted with unknown age).

Customer Question

I have a cat at least 15 years old (adopted with unknown age). Last time we brought him to a vet last summer he was panting with his mouth open. Thought to be a be a lung sickness possibly. Was given a viral medication and antibiotic. He got better.
The vet experience terrified him, at that age I would think dangerous..we had a bird we took to a vet that died on the spot due to the stress.
which leads me to the next part, he went from 18lbs to 10lbs in 6 months. I read it could be a thyroid issue but myself and parents thought the stress for his age of going thru tests and trips wouldn't be worth the risk, and unfortunately the cost that comes along it which we can't afford. So we felt we'll give him the best food and care we can and keep him comfortable until the end.
Well now I'm sitting here with him. In a matter of two days he wen't from perfectly fine to only awake 2 mins at a time, where he'll walk slowly with his head down. Sort of vacant stare. Hes eating and drinking well, stool looks kind of yellow but no blood. I'm sure I've witnessed at least three seizures today.
What should I do with him? He might be not showing the pain he's in because he's usually talkative, but right now will hardly peep with his head hanging down. I feel terrible for him. A website suggests "The recommended dosage for cats is 5 mg per pound (.45 kg) of body weight every 48 to 72 hours" for asprin.
I know you wouldn't recommend home medicating since a qualified vet doing tests should make the diagnosis, but im not planning to move him anywhere, hes already freaked out of any sudden noises let alone that experience. WHAT TO DO!!... Thanks :)
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.
I'm sorry for the long wait. I just logged on and saw this.
I think Hyperthyroidism is possible. I would also put chronic kidney failure, liver disease and cancer as possible causes of the weight loss, lethargy and now seizures.
No matter what, it does sound like he's close to death without aggressive treatment. If you want to just give him something to keep him comfortable at home, you can use Aspirin. The dose is 5 mg per lb body weight every 2-3 days. If this is kidney disease, it will make it worse, but for the other conditions is can help with any pain that he may be experiencing.
I know taking him in is stressful, but you may consider just going in for euthanasia or even having a traveling vet come to the house. It may be the most humane option right now.
I'm sorry you're in this situation. Let me know if you have any other questions.