Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat has develped constipation, vet says no blockage, we

Customer Question

my cat has develped constipation, vet says no blockage, we are trying 1/8 tsp Miralax daily to see if it helps. She is only pooping every 4-5 days. She eats, plays and pees... but does not poop... do you have any other suggestions.... My Vet said she her body might has forgotten how to poop.... and there is a medicine that can help, but would rather do a natural cure vs medicine.... do you have any thoughts
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 13 year old girl Bobbi who seems to have developed constipation, and who only seems to toilet once every 4 - 5 days. It is definitely a concern that she isn't pooping every day, and for her to only go every 4 or 5 days is definitely a worry. It is definitely worth trying the miralax, and hopefully that helps to get things moving.
There are a number of reasons cats can become so constipated. If Bobbi moults a lot and/or is a longhaired cat, I would encourage you to brush her regularly (daily if possible) as sometimes hairball impaction can be part of the problem. A diet high in fiber is a good idea and you can buy some Veterinary formulated products that may help. Royal Canin fiber response is formulated specifically for cats with this issue. Hill's R/D is also a good one, although it is formulated for weight loss also. The other option would be to mix some psyillium husks and seeds (like metamucil) on top of your girl's food. Where possible - feed your girl wet food only, and also encourage her to drink plenty of fresh water. You could also ask your Vet for lactulose syrup which can also help to get things moving. Also make sure you keep up to date with Bobbi's worming treatments.
The medication your vet mentioned is called Cisapride. This helps to get the ingesta moving along the intestinal tract by assisting contractions. You could definitely consider this for your girl if all of the above fails. You can read more about this drug online here: http://www.petmd.com/pet-medication/cisapride
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.