Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have two two year old cats. One of them (or maybe both) has

Customer Question

I have two two year old cats. One of them (or maybe both) has been peeing on my bed daily. The older of the two used to pee all the time but it stopped when she was put on prescription urinary stress food (which both eat). But in the last week there has been more than daily incidences of pee on the bed. Help!
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry about the long wait, I just logged on and saw this.

It sounds like one of the cats either has a UTI or cystitis (sterile inflammation of the bladder). We typically treat with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory meds. I would probably just take both cats in and have a urinalysis done on both of them. The one that is urinating on the bed will have blood in the urine. It may not be red, but it'll be seen microscopically.

I with there was an easier way, but checking them both is probably the easiest. Otherwise, you'll have to separate them and see which one seems to be acting more normal. That could take days. I would just run them in and check some urines.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, for whatever reason the information forwarded to an email account I don't check very often.

I've had both cats checked regularly for UTIs and one has been diagnosed with cystitis and is on prescription food. Since I sent this message we haven't had any more issues.

we're thinking they were just mad at me for having been gone on a work trip for a month an that was my punishment when I got back/once they realized I wasn't leaving again the peeing stopped.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes it's just a stress induced thing. They're not mad that you left, but stressed due to the change. That can make the bladder inflamed and cause them to urinate out of the box. I'm glad things are back to normal.