Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a three year old Flemish giant. She is disabled from

Customer Question

I have a three year old Flemish giant. She is disabled from an unknown reason reason last year. When we had her treated for ear mites she returned from anesthesia unable to use her hind legs. We keep her in a play pen on a sheep skin. Diet is Timothy pellets and Timothy hay with regular greens. After bathing her last night she produced mucous rather than stool this morning. She is also producing normal stools as well. And mucous have decreased throughout the day. Thoughts?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The finding of mucus is worrisome but not as worrisome as it would be if Poppi had been a young rabbit of 7-14 weeks of age in which mucoid enteritis is one of the major causes of morbidity (symptoms) and mortality. The cause is unknown but studies have established the relations between bacterial dysbiosis (imbalance of bacteria) and hyperacidity of the cecum and the symptoms of mucoid enteritis.
In the adult we attempt to increase cecal and colonic motility, discouraging the growth of pathogenic bacteria and the production of toxins, and supporting the growth of normal flora. This is done by increasing fiber in the form of hay/greens and limiting pellets rather than stopping greens and pushing pellets! As long as she remains stable and the mucus is decreasing, no additional therapy is needed or recommended.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.