Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I believe my cat nibbled on a lily plant in the yard and threw

Customer Question

I believe my cat nibbled on a lily plant in the yard and threw up and hiding under the bed what are symptoms to look for?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I ams sorry to hear you are worried about Sabastian. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
How long ago did he nibble at the lily plant? Usually if a cat eats part of a lily, you will see vomiting, loss of appetite, and if enough was eaten, blood tests would show abnormal kidney values. Cats have died of kidney failure from eating lilies, especially Easter lilies.
Was the anemia found since he ate this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet believes he has been sick and hiding it for quite some time. He is eating small amounts of food and urinating
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Did the vet do tests beside the red blood cell count? Were the kidney numbers normal?
Severe anemia can accompany kidney failure. It can be associated with many other things: infections, tick carried diseases, liver disease, bone marrow disease, cancer.
Cats do tend to be secretive about not feeling good, and it is not unusual to see a cat that seems to have been suddenly sick, that actually has had something going on for some time.
It is good he is urinating and eating. If he had kidney failure from eating lilies, he might not be eating.
Did the vet do any other tests beside the red blood cell count?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rebecca did you get my reply?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes, and I responded to it!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
How is Sabastian? Can you see what I have been writing?