Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

APPX 2 HRS AGO MY TABBY STARTED TO GET LETHARGIP---------NOW

Customer Question

APPX 2 HRS AGO MY TABBY STARTED TO GET LETHARGIP---------NOW HE'S VERY SKIDDESH AND HIS EYE ARE BLACK NO PUPIL EVIDENT
HELP
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 11 year old boy who has gone from lethargic, to skittish! There are a number of things that could be going on here, but as it also sounds like his pupils are very dilated (the appearance of black eyes), I would be most concerned about a potential toxicity or poisoning here.
Do your best to keep your boy as quiet as you can. If he won't settle, keep him in a small room with you and continue to keep a close eye on him. If he is really unsettled and his eyes appear very black, then this is definitely a worry. There are quite a number of potential reasons why your boy's pupils may have dilated so much that they appear black, and a number of these are due to toxicities. For this reason - if you can get your boy to your local ER vet right now, I would definitely suggest this. It is always better to be safe in these situations.
If you can't get him seen right now, then please continue to monitor your boy. In particular, please keep an eye your boy's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your boy doesn't try to bite you):
Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.
Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.
Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting today this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.
I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.