Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is in pain. She is sitting upright. Every time she

Customer Question

My cat is in pain. She is sitting upright. Every time she tries to lay dow, she meows and sits back upright. she won't let me touch her belly or pick her up. She is 9 mos old, female that is spayed. She was outside in our backyard this evening and did not come when i called. I found her in our potted plant. When I picked her up, she was clearly in pain, meowing. My vet opens at 8 - do you think she can wait. She has taken some water from me. She just seems uncomfortable.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you while I was away. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on Bee' signs, I am very concerned about her. If there are no signs of wounds, then I'd be concerned that she may have a foreign body in her stomach or intestines that is causing her pain. This will lead her to not want to lay down and put pressure on the stomach. As well, it will be why she cannot dare to let you lift her or press on her belly.
In this case, with her being in such pain, this is an urgent situation. If her gums are pink (not pale/white) and her breathing is <30 breaths per minute, then you can in theory wait for her vet to open but it is obviously not nice for her to have to suffer with pain any longer then need be. But if you saw pale gums, black stool or her breathing was elevated, we would not want to risk any delay.
In any case though, you can keep offering water but plan to hold off on any food. That way, if her vet needs to xray her or take her to surgery, there will be no delay.
Overall, waiting is not ideal but if she can at least remain as she is and stays stable, you can choose to monitor her and have her at the vets the moment the vet is in.
In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @:
http://www.vetlocator.com/ -or-
www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193
Please take care,
Dr. B.