Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

Has ball of red tissuse coming out her returm

Customer Question

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your 15 year old girl Marie who has a ball of red tissue coming out of her rectum. While there are a number of things that could be going on here, it is most likely your girl has a 'rectal prolapse'. This can occur for a number of reasons, but is more common in older cats who strain excessively as a result of chronic constipation. Other potential possibilities for this include anything from a rectal mass, to an anal gland issue.
There isn't much you can do for Marie from home for this particular issue, and I would definitely encourage you to get Marie seen for this issue now if you can. If ***** *****cks this tissue excessively, or if there is trauma to it from her rubbing her rectum on the ground, then this can be very difficult to deal with. The sooner your vet is able to assess and deal with this issue, the better. Depending on the findings of a full physical exam, there may be a few things that need to be done. If this is a rectal prolapse, then returning it to it's normal place, and placing a special 'purse string' suture will be very important.
Please do get in touch with a local vet asap, and try to get her booked in for an appointment within the next hour if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.