Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have newborn kittens that the mother has abandoned. I have

Customer Question

I have newborn kittens that the mother has abandoned. I have another mama cat that let the two nurse from her, but one of the little ones is confused and doesnt know how to nurse. They were born sometime last night or this morning.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.
I'm sorry for this concern for this one particular kitten but it's great that you have another female who is able to feed the two.
It's possible that something happened to the mom, unfortunately, which is why these kittens are on their own but it's also possible that she knew or sensed something was wrong with them which is why she abandoned them, unfortunately. If you've been involved with pregnant cats and kittens and have previous experience, then this is probably something that you've seen before.
As much as I hope nothing happened to their mom, I even more hope that there are no birth defects which will cause you to lose this one particular kitten.
Perhaps this little one you're having trouble with was born a little prematurely and just needs some time to catch up with the others. Many newborn kittens don't take to a bottle very well. I do have an alternate method for feeding her/him which uses a cosmetic sponge and which may work better than a bottle or eye dropper (since aspiration is a real concern).
The following video demonstrates the procedure with a puppy but it's the same for a kitten. In most cases, it works quite well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuowS5_nges
I hope this helps and that they all make it with your supportive care. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,
I'm just following up on the kittens you found. How are they doing, especially the one who wasn't nursing well? Deb