Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Might kaopectate help an adult cat (3yrs) with chronic dia

Customer Question

might kaopectate help an adult cat (3yrs) with chronic diarrhea?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now Kaopectate would hep slow his diarrhea down and could help stool quality but it would not cure the cause of his diarrhea. Still it is worth using to help your wee one to at least reduce fluid and nutrition losses from this long term diarrhea.. In regards ***** ***** ingredient to avoid, I would be suspicious it was Aspirin (which is why we cannot use Pepto Bismol in cats). Otherwise, I would note that you can read more about using of Kaolin in cats @
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p
Otherwise, I would just note that if he has chronic diarrhea, you could consider adding a probiotic to his food. There are products that combine this with Kaolin (ie Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin) and others that are separate (ie Fortiflora). In the case of all of these, they are available OTC at vets, pet stores and even online (ie amazon)). So, this too could be a consideration for your wee one.
Finally, just a few more options to consider for this chronic diarrhea. If you have not already, do make sure this cat is up to date on worming. As well, an easily digestible diet (ie Royal Canin Sensitivity Control or Gastrointestinal, Hills ID, or a sensitive stomach aimed food) can help cats with loose stool. And finally, even if a vet visit isn't practical, I would note that you could potentially still submit a fecal sample for analysis if you wished. This could help you narrow down causes for his diarrhea and give you a clue of what is causing it so that it might be treated. But in any case, Kaopectate would be worth considering for this poor wee kitty.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. -**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is how I am credited for helping you. ** Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Debi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.