Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have 13 cats all strays. Two cats so far have had a paricite

Customer Question

I have 13 cats all strays. Two cats so far have had a paricite problem starting on their head that look like a black specks that imbed themselves in the skin and when you comb them the scalp bleeds. what is this and what do i do for it .... Thanks for taking my question
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Black specks represent flea feces in the great majority of cases. If you wet (dissolve) flea feces - which is composed mainly of blood - you'll see what appears to be bleeding. The only other parasite affecting the head of significance in cats is scabies (notoedric mange). This is an intensely pruritic (itchy) disorder causing dry, crusted lesions that usually first appear on the medial edges of ear pinnae (flaps), then spread rapidly over the ear, head, face, and neck. Black specks, however, aren't a feature of Notoedres cati.
Can you upload a close-up photo of affected skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you . . I am unable to send you a picture, I don"t have that capability with my phone or computer to do that. .But thank you the information was very helpful anyway. Be Blessed

I understand. You're quite welcome.
I'm going to check back with you in a few weeks for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.