Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 14 yr old cat is losing his fur and has a bald spot on his side that has open sores tha

Customer Question

my 14 yr old cat is losing his fur and has a bald spot on his side that has open sores that occasionally bleed. he is otherwise healthy but seems to be losing weight. this condition is approx 2 years duration. the vet gave him steroids x 2 injections and then antibiotics with no change. he tested his urine which was normal and his glucose level, also normal.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I couldn't mark this question as a duplicate which I attempted to do in order to save you the expense of posting two questions. This is how I answered your previous post:
"I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of this spot to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
What was diagnosed by Percy's vet? The skin lesion sounds like a chronic bite wound abscess that needs to be surgically addressed in addition to systemic antibiotic therapy. Steroids would be contraindicated in such a case. If a bite wound abscess has been ruled out, rarer conditions such as a fungus or skin cancer (lymphoma, e.g.) should be considered and in those cases cultures and skin biopsies might be necessary to confirm such conditions."
Now that you've posted the additional history of "2 year duration", a bite wound abscess can be eliminated as a possible etiology and skin biopsy with bacterial and fungal cultures become diagnostics well worth considering. Both skin cancer (epitheliotropic lymphoma, e.g.) and the uncommon fungal infections need to be considered at this late date. Less likely, a foreign body under his skin may be causing persistent infection and drainage.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.