Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Why is my cat having spams and breathing hard a little blood

Customer Question

Why is my cat having spams and breathing hard a little blood comes out when he pees
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
How long has Bud been showing these signs?
Can he only pass drops of blood when he strains to pass urine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just today yes only when he strains to pee he has been constipated for a couple days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I hadn't heard back from you and was just in the midst of replying. Now unfortunately your further information about straining to urinate is very worrisome. Because if he cannot pass a normal stream of urine when trying to do so, then this is an emergency and he needs to go to the vet right now.
When we have male cats that cannot urinate it is often because of a urinary blockage (crystals, inflammation, spasm, etc). These cats will often seem fine initially but perhaps show increased trips to the litter box, trying to in odd places, or straining to urinate (which can often be mistaken for trying to pass feces), and licking of the irritated privates. But as the bladder fills, they can become painful, vocalize, have breathing changes, become ataxic (wobbly), lethargic, and even depressed/collapsed. And as time goes on with the bladder blocked, we see urinary toxins leak back into the blood. This can make them feel worse, vomit, and it can even slow and stop their heart and be fatal if not unblocked and emptied immediately.
Therefore, if he can only pass blood drops when truing to urinate and is in distress, then you need to get him seen right now (by the ER vet if your vet isn't open).
In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find one local to you, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please help i dont want to loose my babyboy
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
This is one of the few cat emergencies. So, Bud needs to be seen now. He may need to be sedated and his urethra catheterized to remove any blockages. This is unfortunately not something you can treat at home, but if you act fast it will give him the best chance of responding to treatment and getting through this.
Please I implore you to get him to his vet urgently,
Dr. B.