Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat had surgery last last friday to have teeth pulled and

Customer Question

my cat had surgery last last friday to have teeth pulled and now she's constipated. How can I help her?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Now if your lass has not produced stool since Friday, then there are some steps we can take to help relieve any mild constipation. Of course, while doing so, we do need to monitor her for any belly discomfort, vomiting, appetite loss, or straining to go. If we see these complications, then we may need to have a post-op check with her vet for treatment.
Otherwise, in this case, you can help relieve mild constipation at home with a number of wee tricks. First, you can offer some cow milk. Kitties are like little lactose intolerant people, and while the love milk it can move things down the gut a bit quicker (ie. Cause mild diarrhea in an unconstipated cat). If she is mildly constipated, this might just get things moving in the right direction.
You can also treat them with hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone). This is available from the vet or the pet shop. It works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose, or mineral oil orally. These should ideally be mixed into food since direct administration can risk aspiration (something we'd best avoid). This can be repeated with her next few meals to effect.
Furthermore, if she is eating you can mix in some canned pumpkin or a ¼ teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). You also want to encourage your cat to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure she have fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth if she won’t drink.
While you are doing this, I would advise that you continue to monitor fecal output. I would advise trying the above measures, but if you aren't seeing feces in the next 12-24 hours, or your cat begins to vomit or worsens at all, then she needs to be evaluated by a vet. Severe impactions of feces are usually secondary to more serious diseases, so if she doesn't respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, then she may require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )