Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat is yellow and wont eat has had liver problems

Customer Question

hi my cat is yellow and wont eat has had liver problems
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,

Thank you for your question regarding your 7 year old boy who is currently off food and who appears yellow. It sounds like his liver issue has returned, or that the symptoms are worsening. If your boy's gums and whites of his eyes appear yellow, then it is most likely due to jaundice. Jaundice occurs typically as a result of liver disease, and is commonly associated with worsening of the disease. Jaundice can also occur with a number of other sydromes including the break down of red blood cells (IMHA) and with bile duct issues.

Whatever the case here, if your boy is obviously yellow, then this jaundice is quite pronounced. You really do need to follow up with your local vet if they are open today as the sooner he gets veterinary attention the better. Depending on the type of liver issue he has, there are a number of potential treatment options available. If an exact diagnosis of his liver disease hasn't been made, then this is the first step. Typically this will involve a blood test and blood clotting test, followed by ultrasound and often a needle biopsy of the liver if there is no obvious diagnosis. Once a diagnosis has been made, a clearer plan on treating the liver syndrome can be made.

While the diagnostics are being run however, your veterinary team will be able to start your boy on intravenous fluids and syringe feed him. It is very important that he starts eating, otherwise he could also develop a fatty liver on top of his pre-existing liver problem. For this reason, if he doesn't eat in the vet hospital, the team may need to place a feeding tube to ensure he gets the right amount of daily nutrition.

Definitely follow up on these symptoms with your local vet today if you can, otherwise, be sure to take your boy in first thing tomorrow morning. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

I hope you managed to follow up with your vet regarding your girl? How is she doing now?

It would be great to get an update when you get a chance.

Cheers,

Dr E