Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My 14 yr. old cat has a large bald spot with open sores on

Customer Question

my 14 yr. old cat has a large bald spot with open sores on his side. he is also losing fur. this condition was treated by a vet with steroids and antibiotics without success and a large vet bill. he is otherwise healthy and eats, sleeps, plays and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort. what can be done. I've tried a few naturopathic liquids without success.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo of this spot to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (not if you're using the chrome browser) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.
What was diagnosed by Percy's vet? The skin lesion sounds like a chronic bite wound abscess that needs to be surgically addressed in addition to systemic antibiotic therapy. Steroids would be contraindicated in such a case. If a bite wound abscess has been ruled out, rarer conditions such as a fungus or skin cancer (lymphoma, e.g.) should be considered and in those cases cultures and skin biopsies might be necessary to confirm such conditions.