Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

10 month cat tries to stand but legs stiffen and acts like

Customer Question

10 month cat tries to stand but legs stiffen and acts like its drunk and disoriented. took to vet today and they gave it a shot of antibiotics and zydoclin for me to administer twice daily. wont eat or drink. eyes dialated. said it was viral infection
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such a change in mentation (mental status) as described ("drunk and disoriented") in association with stiffening legs (abnormal motor activity) indicates an encephalopathy (brain disorder). Infectious encephalitis is common in cats with the FIP virus the most common of those infectious agents. Can you tell me, please if any testing were performed? There's no one specific test for FIP but we do look for changes in the complete blood count that suggest that virus.
The feline leukemia virus (FeLV) and kitty AIDS virus (FIV) also can cause an encephalitis. Has your cat been tested for those viruses as a kitten or currently?
Finally, toxoplasmosis and other bacteria can invade the brain. A bacterial infection would be the best scenario because it might respond to the clindamycin (Zydoclin) but any of the brain infections should be considered life-threatening and hold a very poor prognosis for recovery. Failure to eat or drink indicates that hospitalization should be considered.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.