Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat has elevated glucose and pancreatitis. I did a blood

Customer Question

My cat has elevated glucose and pancreatitis. I did a blood glucose curve on her today and the numbers are very high. She is on Veraflox antibiotic, which she has been given for the past 8 or 9-days. I am also giving her 1ml of Glargine insulin every 12-hours after she eats. I am concerned her BG has been as high as 371 today.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your girl Ferrari who is currently being treated for pancreatitis and diabetes. It is a frustrating fact that these two syndromes often go hand in hand, and as you are seeing - they can be particularly difficult to manage.
In particularly difficult cases, it is often best for a vet to manage the issue in the veterinary hospital. This can help them to ensure the blood glucose level is kept as stable as possible by being able to more accurately dose and adjust the glargine level. It certainly sounds like something didn't quite go as planned today. Perhaps the glargine injection didn't quite go in the right spot this morning? It sounds like the glargine dose may need to be increased, by your vet will need to do this in tandem with their own glucose curve to ensure Ferrari isn't overdosed. You will be happy to hear a slightly elevated BG isn't anywhere near as worrying as a low BG. In fact a low BG can quickly become life threatening. For this reason - definitely do not adjust your girl's glargine level unless instructed to do so by your vet.
I would definitely recommend getting Ferrari back in to your regular vet for another assessment and glucose curve in the next day or two if at all possible. As well as a blood glucose curve, your vet can also carry out a fructosamine blood test, which will give us a better idea of overall control over the last couple of weeks.
Finally - the key to solving this issue with Ferrari (both the diabetes and pancreatitis) revolves around her losing weight. Ferrari will need to go on an appropriate diet to help her lose weight, and manage her blood glucose levels. The best diet for this is typically a prescription wet diet like Royal Canin diabetic, or Hill's m/d. These diets are low in carboydrates which is helpful for weight loss, and also helps to limit the blood glucose spike after a meal, making diabetes management easier.
If your girl is otherwise ok at the moment, then just continue with the Glargine dose as planned. Do be extra careful to raise a large tent of skin and insert the needle all the way when you give Ferrari her injections, as this will ensure she is getting the fully dosed amount of Glargine that has been prescribed. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
How is Ferrari doing now? I hope the follow up with your local vet went well.
It would be great to get an update on her progress when you get a chance.
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tawny,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pet Doc