Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I have a 7-9 week old kitten that's been vomiting

Customer Question

.I have a 7-9 week old kitten that's been vomiting for about 3 days now on and off. I've tried switching foods, etc and I've seen her drink water. She's not weak but she isn't active with the other kittens of her litter, I'm concerned the nursing mother is the cause because she was sick a few days before the kitten. The other kittens are very healthy and eating kitten food and nothing seems to be wrong with them. I'm not sure what to do because the vet isn't open this weekend and I don't want her to die because I didn't act sooner.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. You're necessarily constrained by how much you can do for a vomiting patient at home because anything administered orally is likely to come back up. Your primary goal is to avoid dehydration and electrolyte imbalance which can be done by administering a pediatric fluid and electrolyte replacer such as Pedialyte (or generics) with an eyedropper many times throughout the day. Ada's daily fluid requirement approximates one ounce of fluid per lb of body weight which would be very difficult to give (and questionable if she could retain it) but every little bit helps. Her caloric intake isn't as important for a few days but it would be worthwhile making a gruel of kitten food and also eyedroppering that into Ada.
An over the counter antiemetic such as dimenhydrinate (Dramamine) should be avoided in the event that Ada suffers from an obstruction in her gastrointestinal tract or another disease process in which slowing of the motility of her GI tract is contraindicated. It's reasonable to see if worming her (and the other kittens) at this age would be helpful. That's best done with an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate which also can be given with a dropper.
Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Upon further examination I noticed the kitten only pukes when they feed off their mother who does so seldom but she too my knowledge the mother is sick, which worried me because nursing mothers (I thought) had a hefty immune system. Same symptoms for the mother. Should I keep the mother away indefinitely?
Absolutely. She should be fully weaned at that age in any event. It sounds as if your queen needs to be examined along with this kitten. I have to assume that the other kittens have stopped nursing or they too should have been sickened by their mom?