Rosie_MRCVS
Rosie_MRCVS, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS, Qualified veterinarian of ten years in small animal practice in England
40862463

A feral car keeps putting her newborn kittens in our car engine.

Customer Question

A feral car keeps putting her newborn kittens in our car engine. Is there anything we can use to keep her away from the car?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rosie_MRCVS replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Rosie one of the vets and I'd like to try and help you and "your" kittens. From the sounds of it she is looking for somewhere warm and sheltered for her kittens. Cats in this situation like to feel secluded, with a roof over their heads and solid walls to feel safe. I should imagine (depending where you are) that the inside of your car hood is pretty warm as well from the sun.
In this case I would offer her an alternative that is both warm and sheltered. She will want to get them off the ground as well. I would try offering her a box - probably plastic if it is outside and in danger of getting wet. If possible I would raise this off the ground by a couple of feet, so that she feels secure. A box will allow her to feel safe with her kittens as it is enclosed on all sides, unlike under a tree. Some soft bedding will help as well (nothing fancy - an old towel will do). If you have one, a cat carrier with the door removed would be perfect.
If you really want to tempt her that this is a good place to stay then you can spray some feliway into the box before transferring the kittens. This is a chemical replicant of the scent that cats leave behind from the cheek glands - it reassures them that this is a safe place and can help them feel better. It can come in a spray bottle, and is available online, at most pet stores, and over the counter at your vets. If you do go down this route be sure to spray the box at least half an hour before introducing the kittens, as cats find the initial smells off putting.
Finally, it would be worthwhile putting blocks of solid air freshener under the bonnet/hood of the car where she has been leaving the kittens. Cats really don't like this smell at all and it should deter her from using it as a nursery.
I hope I've helped - if you have any questions from this then just hit 'reply' and I will get them and get back to you. Otherwise, if you have found this useful, please leave a positive rating so that I may be compensated for my time. Thank you, ***** ***** luck, Rosie.