Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I've been using pepsid-ac as an emetic 4 year old spayed

Customer Question

I've been using pepsid-ac as an emetic for my 4 year old spayed female cat. She had been vomiting several times a week. Lately. keeping her well combed, to remove hair that she otherwise would swallow and then regurgitate, and giving her 2.5 mg of pepsid-ac, crushed in her food, once daily, the vomiting has pretty well stopped. Is this a good regimen?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
The use of famotidine (Pepcid) at a dose of 0.25 mg/lb once daily is smart when such frequent vomiting is present. Famotidine, however, isn't an antiemetic such as is Cerenia. It's an antacid and so protects Rumsey's mucous membranes from the corrosive effects of stomach acid.
Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is most commonly identified in cats such as Rumsey. This can be presumptively addressed with a corticosteroid such as prednisolone and/or the antiinflammatory antibiotic metronidazole. I prefer, however, to confirm the diagnosis prior to treating. This is done by first performing basic blood and urine tests including a specFPL blood test looking for chronic pancreatitis and, if necessary, following up with an abdominal ultrasound looking for the tell-tale inflammation in the GI tract suggestive of IBD. Scoping and biopsy of the GI tract is necessary for confirmation of IBD but I might presumptively treat at the point of seeing that tell-tale inflammation. When seen, we do have to be concerned about intestinal lymphoma as well as IBD.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.