Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

Our cat ran away and she was gone week. She has cuts

Customer Question

Our cat ran away and she was gone for a week. She has cuts on her nose and her eyes seem slightly glossed over and maybe not as bright and open as usual. She had quite an ordeal and I don't want to have to put her in the cat carrier to take her to the vet. Not just yet anyway. What do you think is going on with her eyes?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm glad to hear that your girl has returned. In situations like this, unfortunately there are times when they don't. Since she's returned home, has she ate or drank? Is she holding her eyes shut like they are painful? Is there any discharge from them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No discharge. She ate loads and didn't drink yet. I think it's just the one eye. Blinking it a lot.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
That is good that she ate well once she got home. I wouldn't be overly concerned with the not drinking yet. Her eating well typically indicates that she will drink when she feels the need too. More than likely she had access to water when she was out for this time, just no access to food. As far as that eye blinking a lot, it could be due to a conjunctival irritation from being out and about. The concern though is that there could be something more there like an actual scratch on the cornea. Eye situations are always ones that I push to have evaluated sooner rather than later as there is the chance that it could progress to something more serious if not treated soon enough. I know you don't want to take her to the vet, but a quick trip there would allow them to check her over to make sure that everything from this adventure turns out ok. One of the possibilities is that she may have been in a fight while she was out and she may benefit from some antibiotics to help treat any potential infections there. As far as at home, all you can really do there is to rinse her eye out with saline eye wash and see if that may help to remove some irritant. Cloudiness to the cornea, discharge, and squinting / holding they eye shut all indicate the discomfort that she is having there.