Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Two days ago, my cat got into a fight. I took him to the vets

Customer Question

Two days ago, my cat got into a fight. I took him to the vets immediately as he had a very sore leg which he would not put any weight on. It turned out that his leg had bites on that were becoming infected. He was sedated, xrays taken, wounds cleaned etc. He is now home with antibiotics and painkillers. There is no bandage on his leg but he has one of those cones to stop him licking the wound and he is not allowed to go outside until I go back to the vets in two days time. This morning, I noticed one of the wounds on Simba's leg was oozing a brownish liquid. It's the consistency of water, not thick at all. Is this something to be worried about? Do I need to take him to the vets now or can it wait until his check up? Could it just be the infection that he already has antibiotics for?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Based on your description of the fluid, it sounds like serum as opposed to abscess material (pus). This is something we can see when we have open wounds or if there is dead space (since the serum is meant to keep bacteria from sneaking into these open pockets in the tissue to set up infection) under the skin from the fight. In this situation, there is no need to panic. You can just keep the area clean and dry, by using salt water (1tbsp salt to a pint warm water). As well, warm compressing can help reduce the seroma and thus the leaking in this areas. ( Just to note, you can make a safe warmer for use as a warm compress by filling a clean sock 2/3rds full with uncooked white rice. Tie it closed and microwave (approx 1-1.5 min). Before use, do make sure to shake to allow the heat to distribute before using as a compress. (If it cools, you can re-warm as required).)

Overall, this won't be from the infection but is part of the body's healing process. So, we would not be alarmed but just want to monitor, keep it clean, and warm compress as needed.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )