Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My 4 month old kitten has eaten very little today and has thrown

Customer Question

My 4 month old kitten has eaten very little today and has thrown up 3 times that I have seen. The second last contained an insect which she must have swallowed. She's quieter than normal and is sleeping now. Would the bug have caused the upset tummy and how long should she take to recover?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your little one has eaten poorly, and vomited 3 times this morning, with the one of the vomiting episodes containing an insect.
It is entirely possible that her vomiting was triggered by eating the insect. Some insects are toxic, but most simply secrete a horrible tasting substance as a protective measure. This protects them from being eaten in most cases, but if it doesn't that can lead to nausea and vomiting.
If the insect were truly toxic I would have expected her to continue vomiting. I am pleased to hear that her vomiting has stopped and she is able to sleep.
The good news is that the bug is out now. She should feel better when she wakes.
If she doesn't feel better then it is possible that something else is making her feel poorly.
She may have a bacterial or viral infection or she may have eaten something else that you are unaware of.
If she is still feeling poorly when she wakes there are things that we can do to settle her stomach, but if she isn't responding quickly then a veterinary visit is in order as she is still a baby and doesn't have many reserves.
To try and settle her stomach today and improve her appetite you can give either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help if this is related to simple nausea and gastrointestinal irritation.
I would wait to feed him any food for 2-3 hours after the acid reducers are started. This should help stop gut spasms and restore normal gut motility. Small amounts of water or clear broths like low salt chicken broth or tuna juice offered frequently are fine as she needs fluids. You can give her pedialyte to replace electrolytes too, though most cats don't like the taste.
Then in a couple hours if there isn't any vomiting offer her a bland diet mix of 2/3 boiled, white skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, mixed with 1/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed several small meals a day.
Once she feels better (no vomiting for 48 hours) start mixing in her regular cat food very slowly, less bland more regular with each day. It should take a week or so to convert her back.
If she is continuing to vomit, runs a fever or has a tense painful abdomen and is feeling poorly though it would be best that she see a veterinarian now as anything you give her orally will just come back up worsening her dehydration.
Best of luck with your little one, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are both off their food two days now. They had vaccines last Friday and had a reaction where they were on a drip for 24-48 hrs. Could this still be a reaction to the vaccine?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the further information.
What did their reaction their vaccine look like? Did they have hives, facial swelling, difficulty breathing, and/or vomiting and diarrhea?
Did they seem to perk up after they were on fluids for 48 hours and return to normal before this episode?
If their vaccine was last Friday, they were treated Saturday and Sunday and returned to normal, and then this episode started Tuesday/Wednesday I don't think that this is related to their vaccine reaction per se, but the vaccine and reaction may have stressed their immune systems enough to allow another infection to take advantage and now they are sick from that.
Are they running a fever (rectal temperature greater than 103F)?
Any further episodes of vomiting? Diarrhea?
Nasal discharge or sneezing?
If they have been sick consistently since their vaccines then it is possible that this is all related but effects from vaccine reactions don't normally last this long.
At this point because it has been 48 hours and the weekend is coming rechecks and supportive care, including fluids, anti-nausea drugs and an appetite stimulant would be best.
If that isn't possible then using one of the acid reducers I listed above, a bland diet and/or meat baby food could be tried, and if they are not drinking forcing water with a medicine syringe could get them back on track.