Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

Our cat GrayC has had a blood parasite. He is eating some cat

Customer Question

Our cat GrayC has had a blood parasite. He is eating some cat food, but loves butter. Trying to build him up is it OK? Lots of questions, he is 16 & 1/2.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Does he have Haemobartonella (aka infectious anemia)?
Has you tried him on a half dose of Prednisone to see if will tolerate that (since it helps stimulate red blood cell production)?
Has he lost weight?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has microplasma turicensis & regenerative anemia. After the antibiotic we have been using essential oils under the direction of a vet in Austin. He seemed to get better to a point, maintaining his weight for a week or so but now he has lost from 10.4 to 9.6 in the last few days. I just gave him 1/2 prednisone to see. He also just got diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. We took him off the methamisole as it took away his appetite and have been using myrrh. Thank you for your help, we are sad and worried.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome,
I am afraid that I am not a holistic vet (you did not specify a need for one in your question), therefore I cannot comment on some of the treatments you are using. Therefore, please do let me know if you would prefer me to opt out to see if a colleague can better aid you with that. Otherwise, do reply and let me know if you are happy to discuss how we can get more nutrition into him and some weight back on him.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are interested in your input as I have given him the 1/2 dose of prednisone(they are 5 mg tablets). If this doesn't work then I will want to talk to someone with holistic information as we have ordered some herbal substance at the vets recommendation from Austin but she is hard to contact. What should we expect from his behavior with the steroids? And how can we get more nutrition into him? What does the type of anemia mean to you? We have another cat in the house. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
From your reply, I think it best I opt out at this stage.
Each question's fee is intended for one vet's assistance. Therefore, to save you from needing to post multiple questions to get all the information you require, I will opt out so a potentially more holistically qualified colleague can answer your questions all together. There is no need to reply (it can prevent my colleagues from seeing this question is open), but do amend you original question to request a holistic knowledgeable vet.
Take care and they should hopefully be with you shortly,
Dr. B
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to predict when an Expert with the expertise needed for your question might be logging on. We will continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.
Best,
Camille-Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to communicate with Dr. Gary. Can someone please help me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can Dr. Gary see this page of previous information?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr. Gary popped up as a chat. When I tried to chat the original blank questionnaire showed up. I tried to go back to the reply page and I lost everything. Please forward my previous completed questionaire and my earlier chat with Dr. B to Dr. Gary. Thanks