Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 11 mo. Old kitten walks around the house and sits in the

Customer Question

My 11 mo. Old kitten walks around the house and sits in the window making whining noises day and night. She is not showing the normal signs of being in heat but she seems to have developed a real liking for one of my outdoor males. She does not show any signs of being in pain. She is responding to "no" but I don' t like to keep saying it to her.she is in heat She is not spayed.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello Pat, I'm Dr. Deb. I'll do my best to help you today.

Since your girl isn't spayed, I'd have to assume that her behavior (if different from the way she normally behaves) is going through her heat cycle. Not all female cats will behave the same way when in heat: some will only assume the prayer position with their tails/butts in the air, some will roll around on the floor or ground, some will become extremely friendly, others will just vocalize, many want to go outside (if strictly indoor) while others will demonstrate all of these classic behaviors.

Female cats in heat aren't in pain as we know the term although some of them certainly act like it!!

This behavior can last for several weeks and the female will cycle again every month until she becomes pregnant or is spayed.

Cats tend to come into heat during the spring and go out during the winter months but there is some variation about this depending on the climate where you live. In other words, some cats will cycle all year long if the weather is mild.

I do so wish there was something I could suggest that you could give her but her hormones are making her behave this way. The fact that she responds when you say no is a little surprising since it is her hormones talking, so to speak.

I'm not sure if you plan to breed her but if you don't, then spaying may be a good idea. If you do so before her second or third heat, you can significantly reduce the risk of her developing breast cancer....with the added benefit that you won't have to listen to her vocalization.

I hope this helps. Deb