petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat seems to be losing weight (about 2 lbs) and sheds a

Customer Question

My cat seems to be losing weight (about 2 lbs) and sheds a lot. He is either 8 or 11 Still eats, drinks and grooms normally. Seems more quiet or settled. He was always overweight (16..5 lbs). We rescued him 5 years ago. He has access to the outside during the day. Usually hangs out with us. Still interested in stalking his prey but not as active. Is this just getting older or could
There be an underlying condition
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Maximus today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
.........
Losing that much weight is definitely not due to age. Most likely there is an underlying condition, but in cats, it can sometimes be a challenge to identify. It is for that reason that we start with the easy to rule out things first. After a thorough physical exam and some blood work and a urinalysis, your vet should be able to get a good idea of how his major organ systems are functioning. Kidney or liver disease are common causes of weight loss in cats, but usually these cats have a loss of appetite as well. When we see a cat who is losing weight in spite of a good appetite, an overactive thyroid gland should be ruled out. This is a very common cause and if occurring can be treated. Finally, if there is underlying infiltrative GI disease present, like inflammatory bowel disease or intestinal cancer, it can be a little harder to prove, but often treatment is started on a presumed diagnosis after the other conditions above have been eliminated as a possibility.
.......
I would definitely urge you to have Maximus evaluated by your vet as soon as possible so that hopefully a treatable condition can be identified before he loses too much more weight.
.....
Here is a link with more information about hyperthyroidism in cats.
........
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=516
.........
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.