Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat who is sick with lung cancer has had loose stools

Customer Question

My cat who is sick with lung cancer has had loose stools over the weekend. I stopped giving her wet food. She is eating the dry food, but I need a way to get her pill into her twice a day. My bet told me to give her pumpkin pie filling to stop the loose
stools. Penelope will not eat that.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
First, if you struggle to tablet her, you can crush tablets to mix with water and administer via syringe/turkey baster/eye dropper. That said, I would just note that if she now is having loose stools, you can instead consider a liquid/gel preparation to soothe both her upper and lower GI.
In regards ***** ***** options for Penelope, you can consider using OTC Kaolin (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p/page1.aspx) available from your local pharmacy. Alternatively, you can use Propectalin or Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vet practices; pet stores; even Amazon). Both will slow diarrhea safely for a cat and the last 2 have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI. And both are pastes in oral syringe packaging to make giving them easier (though you can mix it into food if you need to). Finally, just to note do avoid Pepto Bismol or Immodium/Loperamide since those are not cat friendly.
All the best to Penelope,
Dr. B.