Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat is lethargic and earlier today around 530 she had

Customer Question

hi my cat is lethargic and earlier today around 530 she had diehrreiand is now crying loudly when we try to hold her. last night we sprayed one room in the house with raid flea and tick but she wasn't in the room and then i let her outside ,she is an indoor/outdoor cat. thia is not like her at all
Category: Cat Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
her dihrrea was a strain and kind of reddish purple but just a small amount, today in her box i noticed her stool was almost black in color and hard
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Did the diarrhea look like bloody mucus?
When you say almost black stool, was it black or dark brown?
Is she eating and drinking for you now? Can she keep water down?
Any vomiting?
Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?
If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?
Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, string, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Threw up last night, stool is bloody mucus, no food and water, no access to human food, doesn't show any tenderness or tensing when shes picked up, random crying and very sleepy, sleeping on belly gums are pink. Could have ate grass outside, but my dog does too without problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gave a drop of miralax last night also
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Why did you give Miralax if she had diarrhea?
Did you think something was stuck?
And was that other stool actually black?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wasn't sure and just 2dropps from the dropper she just drank water from my finger and a dropper that's all she wanted no food though
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not crying and has started moving to sofa from floors she's in here fav spot on back of sofa now
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
Now I have to say that I am very concerned about your lass. If she has bloody mucus diarrhea and had black stool; both are signs of GI bleeding. This can be arise if she has contracted a hemorrhagic virus or bacteria (ie salmonella, campylobacter), has a severe parasitic infection, eaten something toxic (directly to the stomach or something that could affect her clotting like rat poison), something sharp, or if she has a stomach ulcer, erosion or tumor. So, we do need to tread with great care here. Furthermore, we need to get her eating since any stomach based damage is going to worsen on an empty stomach (since the stomach acid will be in direct contact with it).
Therefore, while I am glad her gums are pink and that she isn't painful when you press on her belly, I have to say that it would be safest to consider having her seen at this stage. That way we can pinpoint which of the above is present and treat it before she can become anemic, weak, or perforate her stomach (if there is something sharp or ulcerating the stomach).
Otherwise, if you cannot get her checked immediately, then we'd need to monitor closely and would want to start her on an antacid like:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet#.VE4NVBYYBaQ)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These can be given every 8 hours and will reduce stomach acid and possible further erosion of any potential stomach ulcers. You can also use Milk of Magnesia (after the antacid has absorbed) at a dose of 0.5 teaspoon every 8-12 hours. This will coat the stomach and help protect it. Once she is more settled, you can consider frequent small meals of a light diet (ie boiled chicken, white fish, scrambled egg, etc) to just keep her stomach from being empty and vulnerable to her stomach acid. As well, you can syringe feed Pedialyte as long as she has had no more vomiting (48 ml per kilogram of her body weight per day).
Overall, based on her signs and the color of her stool, I would be quite concerned that she has had some bleeding in her GI. Therefore, it would be best to have her see her vet as soon as possible and use the above if there is any delay in doing so. That way we can determine which of the above is causing her signs, get it addressed, and have her vet administer injectable anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics if needed to help get her back to normal.
In this situation, just in case you do wish to see an emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.