Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

Im a little worried about my male cat, he has a another male cat in the house but they wer

Customer Question

Im a little worried about my male cat, he has a another male cat in the house but they were both introduced to the house at the same time. for the past week or so the cat has completely avoided the litter tray using my furniture, carpets and coursework as alternatives, the urine is very strong and ive has to wash things twice just to get rid of the smell, ive noticed hes a little off his food aswell what could be wrong
by the way he is due to be castrated tomrrow
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, if everything has been stable in the house and you think his urine has a stronger odor, then it'd be highly advisable to have the vet test his urine while he is there. This is because while we can see behavior based inappropriate urination, we can also see it secondary to bladder infections or health issues. So, it is worth covering that base first if this has suddenly started and you are noticing this change.

As well, do make sure that when you are cleaning urination sites that you use an enzymatic cleaner (ie Nature's Miracle, Fizzion). This will break down the urine components and make sure there is no smell left that he can find and therefore use to guide him to going there again. If you aren't sure of all the areas he has targeted, you can also use a black light (since cat urine does glow under black light) to find any hidden spots.

Overall, while we do need to keep territorial urination in the backs of our mind, I would advise looking into his urine/urinary health if you are noticing that change. If he is already at the vets this morning, do ring them and let them know the situation and they can obtain and test a sample while he is there to give us some answer to what has prompted this and whether we do need to consider behavioral issues.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rhiannon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.