Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat didn't eat last night and hasn't eaten all day (now

Customer Question

My cat didn't eat last night and hasn't eaten all day (now 6:21 PM here). She's slept the entire day. Just picked her up to bring her to her food dish, but it was clear she wanted to be put down. She walked back to her bed, but her balance seemed somewhat off, and her eyes didn't have their usual brightness. No purring, and that's unusual. She's six years old, by the way, and generally has lots of energy. I'm concerned. Any information will be appreciated.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried about Monkey. I am a veterinarian and will do me best to help.
Is there any way you could take her temperature with a rectal thermometer? Normal is between 101 and 102.
If you check her gums, are they a normal pink color?
Does she go outside, or is she an indoor cat?
Sleeping a lot, not eating, and not purring could be from a fever, internal illness, or injury. If she does go outside, an infection or injury are more possible than if she is indoor only.
Check her for dehydration. Is she drinking water at all? Gently pinch some skin over her shoulders and let go. It should go back into position in less than one second. If it takes longer, she is dehydrated.
Let me know about her temp, gum color, and hydration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I had a visitor, who wouldn't go away! I can't take her temperature (unless I can use a standard oral human thermometer? if so, should i lubricate it in any way, or would that affect the reading?) I'll send this quickly now and will check other things for you. I hope I will hear from you and haven't already "timed out." Stephen
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
No, you won't get timed out.
An oral thermometer, well lubricated, should work.
Is she an indoor kitty, or does she go out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She spends tome indoors and out, but yesterday she was inside all day. Her gums look to be a pale pink. Her skin seemed to snap back immediately. She seemed to be in some discomfort when I picked her up, and she growled at me for the first time ever. I brought her to her food dish again, but zero interest. I had some whipped cream in the fridge and put a dollop on her dish. That's her ultimate treat, and she did lap that up.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
That is good that her skin snaps back. She is not dehydrated. Good also that whipped cream interested her
I would suspect she has a fever, if you could take it. She is painful if she is growling, and could have an infection somewhere.
Can you get her to your veterinarian tomorrow? For tonight, I would try to get her to drink. Offer water and tuna juice as well as water. Let her rest.
If she has a fever, getting 1/2 of a baby aspirin (aspirin only, Tylenol is poisonous to cats) that might make her feel better. Cats can take 1/2 baby aspirin once every 3 to 4 days.
Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to attempt to take her temperature now, but I don't want to distress her. Hope I will be successful.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Definitely do not distress her, or get bitten or scratched
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She was stressed by trying to take her temperature. I hope I will be able to see my vet tomorrow. I think the tuna water sounds like a good idea. I'll go out to get some tuna. She's gone back to her bed and just wants to be left alone. Such a totally changed demeanor. I thank you for your help.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I hope you find that she has something like an infection that clears up quickly with treatment.
Let me know how she is doing.
Kindly consider rating my answer. You will still be able to ask questions and send me updates. Hope she is better soon.