petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I have an older cat, this morning she would not eat, or drink,

Customer Question

I have an older cat, this morning she would not eat, or drink, I now see her stomach is bloated. is there anything I can do to help her
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Was Pearl acting normal yesterday as far as eating, drinking and eliminating?
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Does she seem in distress at all as far as her breathing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday morning yes, In the evening not so much. She ate less and during the night we had a loud storm. about 130 am I fouond her under a kitchen cabinet and helped her out. She seemed a little strange then but couldn't get any feeling about why
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
breathing is a little harder I think
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Do her pupils look normal or are they fully dilated? Do they respond at all to light by constricting? Does it appear as if she can see?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
didn't see her tummy at first because of long hair. let me check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pupils are normal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She can see
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
OK, good. When was the last time you saw her pass stool and did it look normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She wants to be outside but it's starting to rain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yesterday morning, it was normal for her sort of hard
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
It may be that she is wanting to go outside because she has an upset GI tract. A bloated abdomen can occur if she is constipated, but if she passed a normal stool yesterday that is less likely. The bloating could also be gas which could make her uncomfortable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I loose you
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the bloating could also be due to fluid build up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has not used her cat box since yesterday
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
This can occur secondary to heart disease or tumors as well as a few other disorders.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
In an older cat, one of the biggest concerns when they stop eating is the possibility of kidney disease.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
When their kidneys don't work so well, the normal toxins in the bloodstream that the kidneys remove can build up and make them not feel so well.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Even if there is something else going on, if she stops eating and drinking normally, she can become dehydrated which can affect her kidney function.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so what can I do her vet is closed for holiday. By the way I also have another cat 19 calico who last week had similar symptons,
she did have kidney problems, and was treated with medication and food. meds for possible infection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the KD foods from hills diet.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I would definitely recommend that you have her examined by a veterinarian as soon as you can. Do you have emergency veterinary services available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
across the river yes about 30m-45 min from home
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is an urget care that normally starts at 5pm but Im not sure it will open because of the holiday
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
In the meantime, you can try to entice her to at least drink. You can try offering some broth or any fluid that she may like. Or you can try offering small bits of water at a time via syringe or eyedropper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
should I try to get her to the vet away from here now or see if the closer vet opens at 5
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I would recommend that you give either the urgent care or the ER a call and see if they can see her tonight. The sooner she gets rehydrated the better chance of turning things around.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Good luck with her and please keep me posted as to how things progress. Is there anything else I can answer today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thank you, ***** ***** I keep you posted
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
You can reply back to this post, even after you have provided a rating, and I will be alerted via email. You can get to it when you log in and go to "my questions" or copy and paste this web address:http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/901fed0013f046e282f7f6661c40398f
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Z.