petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

I am living in a building where workers are reconstructing

Customer Question

Hi, I am living in a building where workers are reconstructing for months, with very loud and awful noises 12 hours per day, every day. Do you have any suggestion to keep my cat less stressed and let him hear less those noises? Thank you
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I'm a veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy to work with you.
........
The first thing I would do is to have your vet prescribe something to calm her nerves to be used on a temporary basis until the construction is complete. Either the drug Prozac or Gabapentin is safe to use and will allow her to be less anxious.
........
It will be hard to keep her from hearing the noise, but you may be able to dampen it some with a ambient noise machine (like the kind people use for sleeping) or by playing a radio or TV all of the time that the construction is occurring. They even have CD's that are designed for cats with all sorts of visual and auditory stimuli for her to focus on.
........
One last thing I would suggest is a product called Feliway®. Feliway is a synthetic pheromone that mimics the natural chemicals that a cat secretes. It creates a comforting, reassuring feeling that has a calming effect. It is calming to cats in stressful situations such as transport, hospitalization, veterinarian visits, boarding, new environments, pets or people. Feliway® is a product that can be sprayed or used as a room diffuser. It can be purchased through veterinarians and pet stores. In your case, a few room diffusers may help low the tension.
Here is a link with more information:
.....
http://www.feliway.com/us/
.......
I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.
Dr Z