Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has a limp and a lot of swelling on his front leg for

Customer Question

my cat has a limp and a lot of swelling on his front leg for a week now. He was been kept in doors but he keeps jumping on beds and tables. His initial vet visit ruled out breaks, bites, infection etc. How long can swelling last for?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you are worried about Chewy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
How long swelling lasts depends on what is causing the swelling, and it sounds like that is still unknown. You might consider FNA, fine needle aspirate of the swelling, to get fluid or cells from inside the swelling. This can be examined under a microscope, to try to tell what is causing it.
If blood tinged fluid, or "serum" is found, this is a seroma. These are benign but can take a few weeks to resolve.
If pus is found, it is an infection and it may need to be lanced. If the swelling is not fluid, but solid, examining the cells microscopically may give the diagnosis.
He is young, and he is using the leg, so likely this is not serious. Let me know what else I can help with or answer.