Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My cat has been eating less and less and as are silt has not

Customer Question

My cat has been eating less and less and as are silt has not been pooping regularly and when he does it is very, very little and hard and dry. He is drinking a lot but is lethargic and just not behaving like himself. This has been going on for about 4 days. We have had episodes like this from time to time but this time seems a bit more severe.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear that your fellow Sammy isn't feeling well and is eating poorly and experiencing hard, dry, small stools as well as drinking more than usual.
Certainly if he isn't eating much then stools should be small. As he eats less his intestinal tract slows down, giving more time for fluids to be reabsorbed from ingesta and contributing to dry, hard stools. However I suspect that there is an underlying disease process going on which is driving him to drink more and eat less which is also contributing to dry stools. His body is requiring more fluids to try and work as well as possible.
His lethargy and weakness could be simply due to eating less and having less energy available, but truly I think a big part is related to some sort of disease process that is increasing blood levels of waste products.
A lack of appetite could caused by a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction, chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, toxin exposure, a viral or bacterial infection, inflammatory bowel disease, disease, hyperthyroidism (a tumor of the thyroid gland) and subsequent organ disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease or diabetes), or even cancers such as lymphoma.
Because he hasn't eaten normally in several I am very concerned about him. As his liver breaks down fats for energy to live his liver may become overwhelmed and he may develop a type of liver disease called hepatic lipidosis, which can be life threatening.
Ideally he would see a veterinarian today sine this has been going on for more than 72 hours. Simple stomach upset should pass within 24 to 48 hours. They could examine him, run blood tests and a urinalysis, possibly check radiographs and/or an ultrasound to evaluate him and know best how to treat him.
In the meantime they can administer injectable anti-nausea drugs and fluids to rehydrate him.
If you cannot have him examined today for whatever reason there are some things you can try at home.
At home to try and settle his stomach and improve his appetite you can give either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours
These are acid reducers and may help him feel less nauseous so that he will eat and hopefully not vomit. They are quite safe and can be used long term if necessary.
You can use a medicine syringe to try and force water or low salt chicken broth into him orally.
A couple of hours after giving the acid reducer I recommend offering meat baby foods or a bland diet of 2/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 1/3 boiled white rice mixed with some low salt chicken broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow.
If he continues to not eat he should see his veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics and intravenous fluids and supportive care.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesn't seem to have nausea and he certainly is not dehydrated, he drinks a lot of water.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
If he isn't eating then he is likely feeling nauseous, even if he isn't actively vomiting. Degrees of nausea range from loss of the urge to eat to constant vomiting.
In some disease processes they simply cannot drink enough to remain hydrated, all of the water that they take in is used, and more is drawn from body reserves to be used, in organ function and attempting to get rid of waste products.
Examples of diseases where this occurs are ketoacidotic diabetes, kidney or liver failure.
If his stools are dry and hard he is very likely dehydrated.
You can also check by feeling his gums, they should be slick with saliva, if they feel sticky or dry or his saliva seems thick he is dehydrated.
Finally if you pull up the skin on his back over his shoulders or the back of his neck it should bounce back quickly. If it is slow to go back to position this is called tenting, and he is dehydrated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** check those symptoms.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome, my best to your fellow.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara