Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

I am fostering 3 27 day old kittens. This is my first

Customer Question

Hello, I am fostering 3 27 day old kittens. This is my first time working with a rescue. I have been caring for them since Friday, they came into the shelter wet the day before. 2 larger kittens are 14oz doing great, the smaller is 10oz. THe smaller one has me concered, she is lethargic, hiding, never coming out, and wont eat on her own anymore (she did the first feeding on friday) like the other two are. last night I bought KMR, she will only have .5oz at a time. she seams weak when I hold her she wont lift her head very long at all. I have them on a heating pad, but they can move away from it if they get too hot

I tried putting a little karo on her lips, she just sits there not really registering that I am there and touching her, but she upright with her head up.

Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We're necessary constrained by how much we can do for these kittens. The KMR is smart but I'd like to see how a 4 week old kitten will take to a gruel of kitten food. It's time to wean her and you might find that she's more receptive to kitten food than the milk replacer. I want you to worm her as well with an over the counter product containing pyrantel pamoate. In fact, please worm all the kittens. I'm concerned by her apparent weakness and mentation (mental status) change. Supplementing sucrose in the form of Karo syrup is smart and should be dosed at 1.5 ml (1/4 of a measuring teaspoon) per pound of body weight every 2 hours until she normalized. If she's truly hypoglycemic, she should improve dramatically after the initial dose. She won't take the sucrose readily. You'll need to syringe it into her between her cheek teeth and cheek. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.