Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has had a total personaloty change, she is 2.5 yrs

Customer Question

Hi my cat has had a total personaloty change, she is 2.5 yrs old and is the most sweetest softest cat but has suddenly turned extremely agressive towards my partner (male) but will not attack me (femLe) she has jumped on him and chased him and buy him and we have had to keep her in a seperate room out of fear that she will attack him. She is a house cat, any ideas what is wrong?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear about what is happening with your cat and your partner. Has she previously been normal around him?
I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
You are already doing the first thing I would recommend, by having her spayed. Cats that are not spayed keep going into heat, as I am sure you know, and all those hormones may be responsible. I think there is a good chance this will stop after her spaying.
If not, I would try calming products like Zylkene, Stress Away, or Rescue Remedy.
Having him be the only one to feed her may also help. If you leave out food all the time, stop doing that and have him feed her small meals through the day.
Probably the spaying will help. Let me know what else I can help with or answer.