Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

What is the best medicine in cats & is there an

Customer Question

What is the best medicine for nausea in cats & is there an otc medicine I could purchase?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Callie is feeling nauseous.
The best medication that we have for nausea in cats is likely Cerenia (maropitant), but it is not available over the counter. It is a prescription medication.
As far as over the counter medication you can try giving her an acid reducer to see if that helps. You can try either:
1) Pepcid ac (famotodine) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 to 24 hours
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pound of body weight every 24 hours.
These can be used for several days or long term if necessary as these drugs are pretty safe.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.