Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience treating cats in my practice.
16881297

My 13-year-old male cat had anesthesia less than 24 hours ago

Customer Question

My 13-year-old male cat had anesthesia less than 24 hours ago for a much-needed dental cleaning. We've been home less than 12 hours, and something is not right. His 3rd eyelids are partially covering his eyes (and not seeming to be improving) and he is acting like he can't see very well. More bothersome for me, however, is his urinary (and to a lesser degree fecal) incontinence. He is leaking urine and drops of diarrhea everywhere. This has never been a problem before in his life, and now my apartment stinks from cat excrement. I can only assume the anesthesia caused this, and I'm not happy. He's had anesthesia a few times before, and none of this has ever happened. They checked his labs before the procedure and said everything is fine, so if it's his kidneys, something happened while he was at the vet. It's 4am, I'm awake, and my eyes are burning from the smell. I'll be going back to the vet today for sure, but I'm looking for an opinion before I do. Thanks.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Spikes condition....

There is always a risk in older cats under anesthesia and we run the lab work to be sure his liver and kidneys can handle the anesthesia and that his heart is healthy. There are underlying conditions such as Congestive heart disease that can evade our exams which we have no way of knowing. It appears from your description of Spikes condition that he has suffered a stroke during this procedure that your vet would never be able to predict. This is a clot that is thrown to a part of his brain blocking off some of the neurologic functions. It is extremely important that you get Spike back to your vet right away so they can determine the cause and start treatment before this becomes a permanent condition.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****