Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

My cat has constipation. They gave him fluids once and it seemed

Customer Question

My cat has constipation. They gave him fluids once and it seemed to get him going after a couple of days, now doc giving Miralax because it's going to be used long term and we are doing the fluids thing from the bag, and a little pumpkin in food. Three days and nothing. I heard massage can help? Is it safe to give your cat an enema?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
Thank you for your question regarding your boy who is currently badly constipated. It certainly sounds like your vet is trying to get things moving which is great to hear. There could potentially be a number of possible underlying causes for this constipation, and it would definitely be worth having your vet take an xray of your boy's abdomen to see if he could have an issue called 'mega colon'. This issue would cause ongoing constipation issues no matter what you try.
The Micralax and fluids are good, but it doesn't sound like things are moving right now. In answer to your question - yes, cats can indeed have enemas, however these need to be done by a vet and with your boy under sedation or even a full general anesthetic. Please do not try to massage your boy's abdomen at home either. If done incorrectly, or too forcefully, this will likely do much more harm than good unfortunately. The best next step will be to get your boy back to the vet to have a full enema under sedation or full anesthesia.
Prior to this, an xray would help to confirm or rule out the mega colon issue. If mega colon is confirmed, altering your boy's nutrition could potentially help here. In some cases added fiber (eg the pumpkin you have been giving, or added psyllium) can help in these instances, while in others is can make things worse. It would be worth discussing this with your vet also, as there are some commercial diets that can really assist in these instances for example this product: http://www.amazon.com/Intestinal-Response-Royal-Canin-Supplies/dp/B00II72WQM
Best of luck with your boy and please do follow up with your vet tomorrow if you can. I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Kind Regards,
Dr E
Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated
If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.