petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My main coon cat is walking close to walls

Customer Question

My main coon cat is walking close to walls for stabization . It appears the his right rear foot is turning into his body, almost dragging when he walks
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you if you are still needing assistance, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you, if you don't mind.
.........
Is he dragging the leg? Is it limp?
........
Are the footpads pale or cold on that leg?
.......
Is he crying out or acting like it is painful?
.........
Has he ever been diagnosed with any heart disease or arthritis?
......
Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He is dragging it , it is limp, feels cold but is not crying or acting line it is painful. Beyond healthy had coxsidia at birth and was on amoxicillin when we picked him up from breeder. Otherwise never has taken an antibiotic or ben sick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We have to large Great Danes that he loves .. When I examined the thigh muscle he cried out in somewhat pain... Very stoic.
Expert:  petdrz replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay. I must have logged off just before you replied and have not been back online until now. Hopefully, by now, he is better, but if any of his previous symptoms are continuing, I would definitely follow up with your veterinarian. It could be that he is suffering with a flare up of arthritis which is not uncommon in larger cats like the Maine Coon. What I am more worried about however is the possibility of a cardiac issue, namely cardiomyopathy, of which Maine Coons tend to be over represented. If he is afflicted by such a condition, his symptoms could be due to a blood clot that may have lodged and is blocking the blood supply to his rear legs. This is usually a fairly painful process, but if he is stoic and/or if it is a partial clot, it may be that he is not letting you know how bad it is.
..........
If you have any updates, I would be happy to comment further.