Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat has asthma. What treatment can I do ?

Customer Question

My cat has asthma. What treatment can I do for him?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about Shadow. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Many cats do well on prednisolone. Adding the prescription antihistamine cyproheptadine may also help. Over the counter antihistamines like Benadryl are not very effective in cats with asthma.
If Shadow will tolerate the inhaler, then giving the steroids daily by inhaler might be a good idea. I would also use albuterol as a rescue drug, by inhaler. Are you using the Aerokat system to deliver the inhaler to Shadow?
http://www.trudellmed.com/animal-health/aerokat
http://www.amazon.com/AeroKat-Feline-Aerosol-Chamber-Cats/product-reviews/B005AIPRJG
For some cats, long acting injections of steroids can be helpful.
If anyone in the house smokes, then getting him or her to smoke only outside, can be very helpful.
Each case is different, so you have to try different things to see what works for Shadow. If my cat became asthmatic, I would start him on cyproheptadine and train him to get daily inhaled steroids, and see how he was doing. If that was not enough, I would get the albuterol inhaler.
There are good videos on You Tube about training a cat to use the Aerokat mask over the face to get breaths of the steroid or other inhaled medications.
Let me know what else I can answer and how he is doing.