Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

My cat (one years old) began acting differently this morning.

Customer Question

My cat (one years old) began acting differently this morning. She was attacking my husband and more aggressive with play and biting. When getting home tonight she is rubbing bottom on floor and when petting her she bit me again (more assertive than a play bite). She has had about 3-4 bowel movements in the last 2 days which is a little less than normal. We started feeding her about a teaspoon of wet food in am and pm about 2 weeks ago per suggestion from pet store employee. Before this, we just fed her dry food. Should we go to see a vet/ is there anything we can do to help her tonight?
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.
Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:
Does she seem sore in her back end?
Will she allow you to lift her tail?
Can you see any sores, redness, wounds, or lumps around the rectum?
Does she seem sore anywhere else?
Have her stools been normal? Softer or harder?
Anything happening around the house that could be upsetting her (ie new people, changes in routines, neighbor cats visible out the window, new pets, etc)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! So last night my husband and I used a warm towel and water to clean her bottom area. There was wet and dry feces on her bottom, so we cleaned it off and dried her. She seemed better after than and this morning I cleaned 2 additional dry poop balls from bottom. This morning her rectrum looks clean, no visual sores and clean of debris. I was a little worried a couple days ago as it did not seem like she was having a bowel movement for about 1.5 days. I am not sure how much urine/ bowel movements are normal but it did seem lower. She did have 2 bowel movements from last night when we started noticing this problem until this morning, those appeared normal in texture but maybe slightly smaller than normal. She is an indoor cat (we take her in porch with supervision) and the only change I can identify is the addition of wet food (Sheba all flavors and salmon from specialty store) about two weeks ago in the morning and evening (about 1 teaspoon each feeding). She also did get a bit spoked when window washers cleaned our windows a couple days ago. I guess the largest question is, do you think we should bring her in to a vet? Also, does the food items above sound okay for her (we also have high protein grain free dry food that she has access to 24 hours a day)? How much should she be urinating a day as well? Thank you very much for your reply and we will look forward to hearing from you,
Adam and Emily (Rocksy's mom and dad)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also might have just threw up/ BM on ground. It was approximately 7 morsels of her dry food. They did not look digested or chewed just clumped together and a little wet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,
First, if Rocksy did have stool stuck to her backside (which can be irritating and cause fecal scalding), then it is understandable that she was agitated, stressed, scooting and showing a bit of displacement behaviour (where they lash out at owners/other pets due to something bothering them that they cannot control).
Now I am glad to see that you are not seeing any visible sores, redness, or changes in her peri-rectal region. The reason I asked is because we can see similar signs with cats that have impacted anal glands (which are quite sore and often put cats in terrible moods with their owners). So, this would be a concern. Otherwise, it is possible to also see scooting, changes in fecal frequency, changes in fecal size, and feces getting stuck to her back end with a bit of mild constipation or sensitivity to a new diet. And I would note that anything causing irritation to her colon can actually trigger nausea as well (so this may be why we have seen vomit here).
Now how to approach this situation for Rocksy does depend on her. If she is very sore and very agitated, I would advise a check with her regular vet at this point. That way we can get those anal glands checked, expressed, and get some pain relief dispensed if they are our culprit. Otherwise, if she is more settled just now, then I would advise a trial off the wet food diet or you can consider adding some fiber to that wet food (ie a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a ¼ teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil). The former option would allow us to rule out the food changing stool consistency and thus triggering those other signs. The latter use of fiber would help restore fecal regularity and offset any lower fiber intake she may have relative to eating the wet food. And if we use either and see her settle, then we may need to consider an alternative wet food (perhaps one more attuned for sensitive stomachs) or not using wet food in her care.
Finally, just in regards ***** ***** additional questions, I would note that the pattern of passing of urine and feces does vary a wee bit by individual. Still, generally speaking, we tend to see feces at least every 24 hours (so her delay before was a bit long) and most cats will urinate 2-3 times per day.
Overall, we do have a few concerns for her signs and therefore need to tread with care. If she is comfortable now that the feces has been removed, then we can try adjusting her food to see if we can settle this for her. But if she tells us that she is still sore now, then we’d want to consider getting her checked to make sure her anal glands are not causing her discomfort and thus putting her in a mood with you.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Please take care,
Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Emily,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocksy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.