Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

3 week old kitten is losing hair. littermates are not. same

Customer Question

3 week old kitten is losing hair. littermates are not. same size as others
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.
This does sound concerning. The most common causes of hair loss in a kitten this young is either trauma from over grooming mother or other kitten suckling, ringworm, other source of infection, nutritional issue (unlikey since other are doing great) or endoparasitic problem (mites, fleas).
I am most concerned about ringworm. It may be worth having your veterinarian start a ringworm culture, which takes 2 weeks to get results. But the other possibility is that this cat has some kind of congenital hair abnormality.
Given the kitten's age, you can take a wait and see approach for now, as long as there are no other cats in the household developing hairless, and the no person in the household has no lesions (which would indicate ringworm). At this age most angifungal medications cannot be used by mouth, which is the most effective route. We might have to try topical but because, again, it is so young I really would rather have a diagnosis than risk introducing any sort of potentially ingested medication at this age when liver/kidneys are still developing.
I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.
I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.
Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.
My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.
If you received all the information you needed, then